   RE: [xml-dev] Why I Like Longhorn and XAML

Thanks to Mike Kozlowski's blog ( http://klio.org/marks/ ) for this fine
message from Microsoft, via Tim Sneath:
http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/tims/PermaLink.aspx/d9acfb8f-366e-4be1-b945-
b5f1eacc8579

"1. The web browser is dead for anything apart from internet sites...
and even on the internet, its value will be reduced.... I can quite
imagine that in five years time when you go to a large commercial
website, the HTML view will be a secondary option for broad reach, with
an Avalon version becoming the default for most (Windows) users."

That's an interesting contrast with Tim Bray:
http://tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/11/03/CuiBono

"I’ve observed here that both IT admins and end-users prefer
browser-based apps to traditional compiled clients, for everything
except content creation. Every time, I get emails and incoming pointers
from people saying “You just don’t get it, the Web interfaces are so
tired, we really need a richer UI paradigm.” The interesting thing is
that these reactions are always—every time, without exception—from
developers. Not once has an end-user type person written in saying they
wished they could have a richer interface like the kind they used to
have in compiled desktop apps.... I have all sorts of theories about
whose interests are being served by these efforts to take us back to the
client/server era, but I know for sure that it’s not about making users
happy. Nor the IT staff either."

Also worth examination:
http://w-uh.com/index.cgi/articles/031102-emperors_new_code.html

Lots worth thinking about, whatever your perspective.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!