   RE: [xml-dev] Why I Like Longhorn and XAML

mlk@klio.org (Mike Kozlowski) writes:
>Except, they are.  They still have ASP.NET (which is their toolkit for
>creating Web applications), and it's still under very active
>development. XAML has no impact on ASP.NET, as far as I've read.

Except, they aren't.  ASP.NET is neutral between HTML and XAML - it
works either way for them.  But they've left their HTML browser to wilt.
ASP.NET is hardly a substitute for Internet Explorer.

>That code generation is what they do right now for Windows-client UIs.
>They're moving from that to XAML for Longhorn -- i.e., XAML is the
>evolution of the programming model for Windows applications, and the
>alternative to IDE-generated C#.

And Windows gains while they leave the Web to wither, they appear to
hope. Great.

>> No, it's a promotion of the Windows client interface at the expense
>> of the Web client interface.
>
>To the extent that's true, it has less to do with XAML (which most
>developers will probably never see, anyway, as they'll continue to use
>Visual Studio to develop their UIs) and more to do with the Zero-Click
>Deployment stuff.
>
>And, moreover, it has little to do with them weakening their Web
>development story (the improvements in ASP.NET will be very welcome)
>and more to do with them strengthening their desktop development story.

They control the client, for the most part.  They're weeding out what
they don't control.  That's the story.  Holding up ASP.NET as a figleaf
is using socks to cover your head.