   RE: [xml-dev] Why I Like Longhorn and XAML

Simon St. Laurent wrote:

<<I'm more annoyed about the copied XHTML+SVG+XForms+whatever else you'd like to put in the stew.  XUL is the least of it to me.  The part that matters is that they appear to be reinventing for the sole reason of making it theirs, proprietary, kicking out the NIH.>>

If Simon is correct, this may be the makings of another major lawsuit against Microsoft for antitrust violations and/or unfair competition. This goes beyond the Lotus case where it was charged with "borrowing" the look-and-feel of the Macintosh operating system.  This goes beyond the recently settled case that charged the offering of a free browser with Windows for the purpose of impeding the development of competitive browsers and related technologies (e.g., Java). This may be an attempt to pass off as its own open source technology developed under the aegis of W3C, the copyright to which W3C retains (see http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620) and which it permits to be used subject to a license (see http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231).    If Microsoft is not in compliance with this license and there is substantial confusion in the marketplace as to the source of the technology (i.e., is it from W3C or MSFT or whatever?), then there may be claim under the Lanham Act. When Microsoft's support of SCO in its claims against Linux is also taken into consideration, it appears to be open season on open source.

Gary Hoffman