   Re: [xml-dev] Yet Alternative "character entity" proposal

  • To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Yet Alternative "character entity" proposal
  • From: Robin LaFontaine <robin@deltaxml.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:22:22 +0000

Eric,

I like this especially because the expansion of the entities can be
done at any time and is not done every time the file is read in. A
frequent need is to process XML and preserve the entities: not
expanding them is the simplest way to do this!

This means (from our point of view doing comparisons and representing
changes as XML) that we can find changes to 'entities' and keep these
represented as 'entities', expanding only when we want to. Then we
can merge and sync XML files and preserve the entities.

But one thing I do not follow is the use of the xhtml namespace for
the entities, I would prefer to see a different namespace, e.g. so
that instead of <nbsp/> we had <ents:nbsp/> or even <ents:entity
name="nbsp"/> so that DTD/Schema for XHTML was not polluted by the
entity names. They should be separate I think. But of course your
scheme still works with this, it is a style issue and not fundamental.

Re: the expansion XSLT, why not process the entity declaration file
to generate an xslt file with templates like this:

<xsl:template match="nbsp">&#160;</xsl:template>

and then use this to expand the document. I think it would be simpler
and run much faster.

Robin La Fontaine