   RE: [xml-dev] Challenge

Hi Bill,

Bill said:
I assume that whatever you all come up with, this document is coming
back in a POST.

Didier replies:
Not necessarily, using xmlHTTP (available in both Mozilla and IE) we can
send back the XML document and use a PUT HTTP method. Why did you assume
that we would use a POST? Did you made the inference that we would use an
HTML form? The requirement is that an XML document is to be returned to the
server. Did you had in mind that we would use a SOAP call? Could be if the
returned document is to be stored on a server having that kind of web
service interface. Did you had in mind that the returned XML document is
moved to the server with a POST? Could be if the server imposes that the
document is returned through a POST. In any cases, the returned message
would be through an HTTP POST or PUT (I doubt delete would do the job to
update the document on the server). In the case of a POST the message
payload could be packaged as SOAP or otherwise. In the case of PUT as sent
though the initial GET but this time with the data content filled.

UP to now, it is clear and obvious that using standard technologies it is
not that obvious to simply get an XML document, fill it up and return it to
the server. This is why it is so important to get at least a simple working
example. In fact, I hope that W3C workgroup listen to this tread because
they will learn something in the process. Hope they will use this as a use
case.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
http://didier-martin.com