   setEntityResolver() not setting entity resolver

Hi all. I'm working with JAXP and SAX2, trying to use a custom entity
resolver, and failing. So far as I can tell, the resolver is not actually
ever getting any calls to resolveEntity(), so I assume I'm not setting it
properly and the parser doesn't know about it.

I'm having trouble finding good documentation for how to go about this --
the doc I've mostly seen seems to refer to SAX1. What I'm doing is:

 import javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser;
 import javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory;
 import org.xml.sax.InputSource;
 import org.xml.sax.XMLReader;
[...]
  SAXParserFactory factory = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();
  SAXParser parser = factory.newSAXParser();
  XMLReader xmlReader = parser.getXMLReader();
  MyEntityResolver er = new MyEntityResolver();
  xmlReader.setEntityResolver(er);
  parser.parse (new InputSource (...), handler);
[...]

(JDK 1.4.)

I'd be very appreciative if someone could tell me what's going wrong.

Thanks,
Jessica