   Re: Production 78 / Process failure in XML 1.1

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> If the intent was to prevent restricted chars from appearing
> literally, I agree that this would have been an editorial change, not
> a substantive one and not a process violation.

Good.

> However, as actually
> written I don't think the spec does forbid restricted chars in the
> document entity,

I'm inclined to agree, but I may be overlooking something.

> and I'm not convinced it forbids them in external
> parsed entities. (I'm not sure about that. Maybe production 78 can be
> construed to indicate that, but it's not obvious to me. I think that
> <element>#x07 and lots of other restricted chars here</element> does
> satisfy production 78.)

The BNF notation a - b used in the XML Rec means "anything which matches
a but does not match b".  Your sample document clearly does match
Char* RestrictedChar Char*, and as such cannot match production 78.

> If the intent was to forbid literal restricted chars, then perhaps
> all that's needed is a 2nd PR that makes the necessary editorial
> fixes to say what was actually intended, and you can avoid going back
> to last call.

I'll defer this to experts in W3C process.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them