   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Production 78 / Process failure in XML 1.1

On a related matter: some people recently suggested that allowing C0
characters
directly would make incorrect encoding labels harder to detect.

0x00 excepted, I am not aware of any case where this is so. In EBCDIC
and ASCII-family encodings, there are (always?) no bytes in sequences
which share the 0x01-0x1F byte.  I am interested in any details people
have uncovered in this regard.

Constrast this with the C1 characters: U+0080-U+009F.  There
are many encodings which use the bytes 0x80-0x9F (alone or in sequence)
to represent non-control characters.

So the argument against literal C0 characters is that inband control
characters
are transmission artifacts that have no place literally in data. Use