   Re: [xml-dev] standard vs. implementation tools for XQuery

At 02:28 PM 11/13/2003, Waraporn Jirapanthong wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been trying to validate my XQuery statements with some tools. I'm pretty
>confused if they are incorrect themselves or the tools do not support the same
>standard. Since I study how to compose inquiries from different resources like
>w3c, available websites, etc. Otherwise, I validate them by some case tools. I
>found some syntax are not the same.

There are at least two reasons for this. The XQuery langauge is still
evolving, though it has become relatively stable, and different
implementations support different Working Drafts of XQuery. Many of these
will update to the Candidate Rec documents when they exist. Also, many
implementations support only a subset of XQuery, and the subsets vary.

>Let me give you a sample, I try to inquiry XML elements from one more
>XML-based
>documents with invoking *doc()* more times. What I found is some tools do not
>support this query. (Or is there another way to compose such that query?)

Are you saying the tools you are using do not support the doc() function at
all, or place restrictions on its use? Can you give me more information?

>Could anyone give me some suggestions, please? Or has any tools supporting
>XQuery 1.0 is available at the moment? Thank you very much in advanced.

I've used Galax a lot and Saxon some and been happy with both. You can find
links to them here:

         http://www.w3.org/XML/Query.html#products

Hope this helps,

Jonathan