   Re: [xml-dev] standard vs. implementation tools for XQuery

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:28:25PM +0000, Waraporn Jirapanthong wrote:
> I've been trying to validate my XQuery statements with some tools.
> I'm pretty confused if they are incorrect themselves or the tools
> do not support the same standard.

XML Query is not yet a Recommendation.  As of this week the
specifications are for the most part in Last Call Working Draft.

Implementations are often one or more drafts behind - this is most
noticeable in the syntax of type construction and function
declarations, and in the treatment of empty sequences,
or that's what I've noticed so far.

> Let me give you a sample, I try to inquiry XML elements from one
> more XML-based documents with invoking *doc()* more times.

Can you give a simple example?  I've used doc() more than once
in the same query with Lucents Galax, for example (obviously
giving a different URI each time for it to be useful).

> Or has any tools supporting XQuery 1.0 is available at the moment?
Since XQuery 1.0 doesn't exist yet, there are no tools :-)

However, there are approximately two dozen implementations in
various stages of completeness listed on the public XQuery Web
page at http://www.w3.org/XML/Query that you can investigate.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/