   Re: [xml-dev] Relating to XML

Alaric B Snell wrote:
> It's stupid that every e-commerce Web
> site out there has a catalogue available online, but it's still not
> practical to write an application that merges the catalogues of multiple
> suppliers together, choosing the cheapest when the same product is
> available from more than one supplier or just listing multiple supplier
> options, depending on the user's wishes.

Well, that there is no possiblity to do price comparisions fully
automatic is a drawback from the point of view of the customers.
I don't thik most of the vendors see this as a disadvantage.

Even if all catalogues are XMLified, which is quite difficult in
itself because of the differeent significance of attributes for
different product categories, vendors can work around easy
price comparisions by using complicated conditions, like "you
get a 10% rebate if you buy this and that on sunday evenings
and deliver to a Texas PO box".

J.Pietschmann