   Re: [xml-dev] Relating to XML

J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Well, that there is no possiblity to do price comparisions fully
> automatic is a drawback from the point of view of the customers.
> I don't thik most of the vendors see this as a disadvantage.
>
> Even if all catalogues are XMLified, which is quite difficult in
> itself because of the differeent significance of attributes for
> different product categories, vendors can work around easy
> price comparisions by using complicated conditions, like "you
> get a 10% rebate if you buy this and that on sunday evenings
> and deliver to a Texas PO box".

This kind of thing, I think, is what will make the Semantic Web hard to
realise, in business circles at least. Efforts like Wikipedia and so on,
of course, are far more likely to happily embrace things like the SW...

No matter how we hate it, it looks like the Web will be primarily for
human consumption for the time being at least, I guess :-/

> J.Pietschmann

ABS