   RE: [xml-dev] When Searching With Google

> That is why I wondered if it picked up on the topic
> word or phrase.  That is likely what they are after.
> The other words are qualifiers, at least, that is
> how I use it.  I was questioning the Google strategy
> because I realized I have a mental model of how it
> works, and that is how I select and enter search
> terms.  It is probably not the right mental model
> but the interface doesn't make it clear, and as a
> result, its filtering strategy is opaque.  The user
> does the best they can.

Most modern search engines give greater weight to a term the more
infrequent it is in the corpus. Most also weight terms according to
where and how often they appear in the source document, and some also
recognize when adjacent words in the query constitute a noun phrase.
What google does is anyone's guess.

Michael Kay