   RE: [xml-dev] wacky XML

HI All

	During the 1960's I was a Radio DG. I have a substantial collection
of 45 and 33 RPM records with pages of personal notes and pictures related
to them. About 15 years ago I began to use SGML to store this information in
electronic form. Recently I began to digitize the sound tracks and pictures
to put them on CD's. I have a Juke box with storage for 500 CDs and DVDs. I
now use XML to store and manages this information.

	I also use XML to store information related to the various sound
systems in my home.

	I use PERL Scripts and some XSLT to extract information, select
various sound and/or video clips, and select the system(s) within the house
I wish to display and/or listen to them on. I can do this from my PC via the
Keyboard/Mouse Clicks, or from the TV with the use of the TV remote control.

	For some of the newer systems, I can turn them on or off as well as
change other system properties. But I store the current state of the device
in XML and link it to the video or sound track so that if I choose, I can
automatically set the system differently for each track. I use XSLT to
transform the XML into the correct signals for a Universal remote control
device I have hooked up the my server.

	I also control the heating, cooling and electrical systems within my
home using XML and XSLT. I could even link these systems to the sound tracks
to establish different lighting for different songs. Heating and cooling to
but that's TOO wacky.

	I have very few paper files. I store everything in XML and use XSLT
and XSL-FO to reproduce the original either from the XML or from digitized
copies. Many of the bills I receive I can get an electronic copy, (Phone,
Electric, Gas, etc.) so I get them from the Internet and transform them into
my XML.

	My son is getting married in May so I am using XSLT to extract all
of his childhood photos from XML Photo Album to create the Wall Paper for
his reception. Hope he doesn't read this.

	This is only a few of my applications of XML at home. These were my
training tools to learn SGML/XML and all of the related specs.

Thanks

Bill Conrad