   RE: [xml-dev] Non-Borg servers can authenticate Borg clients (Was Re: [x

  • To: "Amelia A. Lewis" <amyzing@talsever.com>,"Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Non-Borg servers can authenticate Borg clients (Was Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call for Participation)
  • From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:27:22 -0800
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

The lack of interop in the WebDAV client in Windows ("Web Folders") is
*completely* different issue from using IE with digest auth.  WebFolders
definitely have interop "issues" with non-MS servers (and even MS
servers that don't return the right headers, custom-coded .NET servers,
and so on) that go far beyond digest auth.  It was never a priority to
have the client work with other servers, and considered by some to be a
support liability.  I'm not an expert on WebDAV interop, but Julian
Reschke who frequents this group is, and I have seen more than enough to
convince me that WebFolders interop with anything other than SharePoint
is close to hopeless.  I would just use a different WebDAV client.
Basic digest auth for IE should be pretty safe, however.

Participation)

> That's interesting.  I've got WebDAV servers (running on apache),
using
> digest.  Win2000 and WinXP both fail to attach web folders.  So web
> folders uses a different dll or something?  In fact, when I was
> researching this, I discovered that random variations in installed
> service packs + hot fixes + IE + IE SPs/fixes + Office + Office fixes
> apparently sometimes (but not in a fashion that anyone has yet been
able
> to reliably reproduce) permit web folders to work with apache with
> digest auth.  My experience (seven systems, two running 2000, five xp)
> has been uniformly negative.
>
> Amy!
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:28:11 -0500
> Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
>
> > At 8:52 PM -0500 1/8/04, Rich Salz wrote:
> >

> > >Did you miss the posting where I said IE5 just gives up?  Given the
> > >market penetration of IE5 on the web, I think that's sufficient
proof
> > >that interoperable digest isn't available now.  Of all the web
sites
> > >you use, do you know of one that does it?
> >
> > Since I don't happen to know of a real world web site that uses
> > digest authentication, (very few use even basic) I set up digest
> > authentication on one of my servers and ran my own tests. You (and
> > anyone else) can check this out for yourself at
> > http://www.elharo.com/staging/
> > Username: invited
> > Password: test
> >
> > This is a Red Hat 8.0 Linux box running Apache 2.0.40 with whatever
> > patches Red Hat's released over the last year or so. I haven't done
> > anything special to the server in that respect.
> >
> > Here are my results:
> >
> > Internet Explorer 6.0 Windows 2000: Works
> > Internet Explorer 5.1 Mac OS 9: Works
> > Internet Explorer 5.2 Mac OS X: Works
> > Mozilla 1.4 Linux: Works
> > Mozilla 1.3 Mac OS 9: Works
> > Safari 1.0 Mac OS X: Works
> > Netscape Navigator 6.2 Mac OS 9: Fails
> > Opera 7.11 Windows: Works
> >
> > I assume Netscape 4.x fails as well. Netscape 7 probably works.
These
> > are just the browsers I have handy.  I'm sorry I do not have a
> > Windows machine with IE 5.5 or earlier or Opera 6.0 or earlier to
> > test on. Please do hit my page with your copy of IE5 and let me know
> > what happens. Also anybody else, who has a browser not on this list,
> > please also check out the page and report your results.
> >
> > So far, though I cannot verify the claim that Borg clients can only
> > operate  with Borg servers. Indeed I dispute that claim for Borg IE
> > 6.0, and for Mac Borg. :-) Possibly, the reverse is true: that is,
> > it's possible that IIS only works with IE, but Apache 2.0 does seem
> > to work with IE.
> >
> > --
> >
> >    Elliotte Rusty Harold
> >    elharo@metalab.unc.edu