   Re: [xml-dev] Non-Borg servers can authenticate Borg clients (WasRe: [xm

Joshua Allen wrote:

> The lack of interop in the WebDAV client in Windows ("Web Folders") is
> *completely* different issue from using IE with digest auth.  WebFolders
> definitely have interop "issues" with non-MS servers (and even MS
> servers that don't return the right headers, custom-coded .NET servers,
> and so on) that go far beyond digest auth.  It was never a priority to
> have the client work with other servers, and considered by some to be a
> support liability.  I'm not an expert on WebDAV interop, but Julian
> Reschke who frequents this group is, and I have seen more than enough to
> convince me that WebFolders interop with anything other than SharePoint
> is close to hopeless.  I would just use a different WebDAV client.
> Basic digest auth for IE should be pretty safe, however.

Joshua,

you're making the client worse than it is. Actually, it's rather robust,
the main issues are about particular edge cases that happen not to occur
with Microsoft's own servers. As far as I can tell, those issues are
being adressed in future builds.

However it's true that the client doesn't support any additional WebDAV
specs (such as versioning or ACL), which is really a pity.

People looking for an alternate Windows client for WebDAV may want to
check out the Xythos client (www.xythos.com), which *does* support
locking, versioning and access controls (note that the ACL spec is
currently being published by the IETF, so it may take some time until
there's reliable interoperability with different servers).

Regards, Julian