   Re: [xml-dev] Non-Borg servers can authenticate Borg clients (Was Re: [x

At 10:59 AM -0500 1/10/04, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>The big surprise is that Internet Explorer 4.0.1 for Mac OS 9, which
>dates to 1998, supports this. That's so surprising I'm wondering if
>maybe something weird is going on behind the scenes, like IE sending
>a basic authentication to a request for digest authentication, which
>Apache nonetheless accepts? I may have to do a little packet
>snarfing of my own to see if I can figure out what's going on. Can
>anybody recommend a good packet snarfing tool for Linux that would
>let me see exactly what the client is sending to Apache? Maybe some
>log  option in Apache?

I've now looked at what's actually getting sent across the wire to
the server using ethereal, and I can confirm that Internet Explorer
4.0.1 for Mac OS (circa 1998) supports digest authentication. Someone
else has reported that Internet Explorer 4.0 for Windows also passes
the test, though I haven't confirmed that with Ethereal. Still, given
that the mac browser can do this, it doesn't seem unlikely that the
equivalent Windows version can.

So far all the reports from later versions of IE are also successes.
I'm beginning to think that reports of non-interoperability are
greatly exaggerated. They may perhaps be misdiagnoses of other
problems involving WebDAV, WebFolders, or other protocols that go
beyond simple digest authentication for a web site. Or possibly the
problem involves something my tests aren't exposing like whether the
URL contains a query string or a fragment ID?

To date, the only significant failures are Lynx and Netscape 4.x.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu