   Re: [xml-dev] wacky XML

Strolia-Davis Christopher Contr MSG/MAT scripsit:

> Claude L Bullard wrote:
> >As I recall and that was when I was younger, it was
> >the tower and the king that were smoten, but the
> >people were scattered babbling.  So when XML comes
> >to full dominance, we can likely expect the Internet
> >to crash once and for all.
>
> Actually, they were only smote down because they
> tried to compare the tower to God.

The text says otherwise: the Tower was destroyed because of God's concern
that unified mankind might be able to unite imagination and action:
"nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."
(Gen. 11:6)

Here's the whole text in the KJV:

011:001 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

011:002 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that
        they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt
        there.

011:003 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and
        burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime
        had they for morter.

011:004 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower,
        whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name,
        lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

011:005 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which
        the children of men builded.

011:006 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have
        all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing
        will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

011:007 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that
        they may not understand one another's speech.

011:008 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of
       all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

011:009 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did
        there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence
        did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the
        earth.

--
"Clear?  Huh!  Why a four-year-old child        John Cowan
could understand this report.  Run out          jcowan@reutershealth.com