   RE: [xml-dev] Attribute Lengths Using MSXML Sax Parser

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Attribute Lengths Using MSXML Sax Parser
  • From: "Phil Fuhlman" <pfuhlman@Dexma.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:54:26 -0600

Yes, MSXML* supports SAX...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/htm/sdk_intro_6g53.asp

</pff>

-----Original Message-----
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 2:22 PM
To: Bullard, Claude L (Len)
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

At 1:27 PM -0600 1/12/04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Just to be perverse, here is an actual XML question?
>Is there a length limit on attribute content when using
>a SAX parser?  To be specific, the MSXML SAX parser.

That I couldn't tell you. Does MSXML even support SAX? In general
with standard Java SAX there is no specified limit, and theoretically
a parser with sufficient memory should be able to handle an attribute
value of up to approximately 2.1 billion characters (the maximum size
of a Java String) though I doubt any real VM could handle that
without choking. Maybe the experimental 64-bit VM on a system with a
a terabyte or so of virtual memory? You might hit such a limit if you
were trying to do something like stuffing a base-64 encoded movie in
an attribute value.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu