   RE: [xml-dev] Expertise and Innovation - was Re: [xml-dev] Non-Borg serv

  • To: "'bob@wyman.us'" <bob@wyman.us>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Expertise and Innovation - was Re: [xml-dev] Non-Borg servers can authenticate Borg clients (Was Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call for Participation)
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:58:39 -0600

From: Bob Wyman [mailto:bob@wyman.us]

>Didn't Apollo's machines have a distributed file system?

Yessir.  We were building hypertext systems using SGML in the
1980s on the Apollos complete with the Context authoring tools
and scripted harvesting of content all being published to a
Write Many Read Many disk.  An obvious no-brainer except for
the SGML because WYSIWYG was king and its followers were
at war with the markup community.  Had HTML not been successful,
it is possible the markup meme would have been fodder for
rediscovery instead of reproduction.

>My first impression of TB-L's URL's was that they were simply
>a way to bring the equivalent of VMS file names to UNIX.

My impression of URLs was the same as yours.
The timing was that the Internet had just been
released to public use, and the vast majority of homes didn't
have PCs just as they became affordable.  The web gave the
homeowner a reason to buy them:  free content.

It wasn't innovation; it was timing and shrewd choices plus
getting college students to do the heavy lifting.  But
put it all together and it was successful, so STimbl
gets the credit, the accolades, and the burdens.

If you want to see another domain where history blew it,
look at the history of modern logic and mathematics.  John
Sowa writes long and lovingly on that topic.

len