   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

On Jan 13, 2004, at 9:01 PM, Joe English wrote:

> In fact any aggregator that doesn't do something like this
> is doomed to fail -- *nobody's* feed has the encoding labelled
> properly.  (Well, maybe not "nobody", but certainly not very many.)

That puts  the syndication community debate over what some say Jon
Postel said [genuflecting to Rich Salz' point] in a more sensible light
for me.  The question isn't whether one should use a *parser* that does
not conform to the XML spec (which is obviously a huge step backwards),
but whether one should quietly 'round up the usual suspects' that cause
mechanical problems before sending it to a parser.  Maybe a subtle
difference, but it really feels very different to me to sniff for
encoding errors and declare the HTML entities before parsing than to do
the kind of thing that could change the meaning of the text (as in Tim
Bray's example).