   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Michael Champion wrote:
>
> > OK, I'll bite and expose my lack of attention to the details  -- why are
> > smart quotes illegal in XML?  (Or is it that the encoding is
>
> They aren't.
>
> > mis-specified?) Was this proposed to be fixed in XML 1.1?  Does anyone
>
> It was mis-specified (actually it wasn't specified at all, and as it
> wasn't UTF-8 it should have been).
>
> > outside the RSS/Atom world complain about this?
>
> Any XML parser MUST reject it, otherwise it doesn't deserve the name.

True, but the aggregator as a whole might still accept it --
possibly by noticing that the encoding is mislabelled and
munging the data into proper UTF-8 before passing it to the
parser.

In fact any aggregator that doesn't do something like this
is doomed to fail -- *nobody's* feed has the encoding labelled
properly.  (Well, maybe not "nobody", but certainly not very many.)

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com