   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

He goes a bit overboard, but Mark Pilgrim makes some good points:
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/01/14/thought_experiment
(What, Mark going overboard?  I'm shocked I say, shocked.)  Don't lose
his point: it's not necessarily invalid markup, but different character
encodings, too.

My view:  whenever Atom is carrying content, it should be possible to
insert base-64-encoded content.  Then the Atom is pure XML, and the
content is safely carried, leaving it for the poor user with their "tag
soup" browser, or what have you, to deal with.  Luckily, you can do that
with Atom.  Mark Nottingham is writing the strict RFC spec (using
Marshall's tasteful RFC 2629 XML package); see
http://www.mnot.net/drafts/draft-nottingham-atom-format-02.html#rfc.section.3.1

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect