   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL(2): new version up

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 23:49, Jonathan Borden wrote:

> I see your objection. Would the following be acceptable:

> 	rddl:purpose="...">
>
> alternatively:
>
> <rddl:resource
> 	rddl:nature="..."
> 	rddl:purpose="...">
> </rddl:resource>

Hmmm... How would we link the nature and purpose to the link target
then?

RDDL 1.0 lets you define several <a/> links in a rddl:resource, such as
in:

<rddl:resource id="v0.2"
  xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#prior-version";
  xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict";
  xlink:href="/0/2/" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="none"
  xlink:embed="none">
<h3><a href="/0/2/">V0.2</a></h3>
<ul>
  <li>Addition of several sections (limitations, acknowledgements, history and legal) </li>
  <li>Clarifications after comments through xml-dev and private mails.</li>
  <li>Start to feed the resources section.</li>
</ul>
</rddl:resource>

I find that very handy, but how would you know which @href should be
chosen when there are multiple <a/> in a single rddl:resource without
giving separate definitions?

And if we had to write :

<rddl:resource id="v0.2"
  rddl:purpose="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#prior-version";
  rddl:nature="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict";
  rddl:link="/0/2/">

Or even

  rddl:purpose="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#prior-version";
  rddl:nature="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict";
  rddl:link="/0/2/">

The difference with the current syntax seems pretty much limited to a
boycott of XLink which doesn't seem to be a benefit by itself to me!

The current version is verbose, but I think that this verbosity is
required for its expressive power.

Note that it can easily be compacted for edition when needed: I use a
"RDDL compact XML syntax" which is XSLT transformed into plain RDDL for
publication and this lets me add extra goodies such as TOC and indexes
generation.

Eric
--
Freelance consulting and training.