   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft files for XML patents, says C|Net

Doug Hudgeon wrote:
> It would need to be marked up though to be patentable:
> <CogentListArgument temperature="nonFlaming">
>	Text of Argument
> </CogentListArgument>
	My apologies for not labeling things correctly... One day I'll
get the hang of this. Do I need a namespace for that tag?

	It should be noted that if Microsoft is correct in their
apparent belief that the mere use of XML and XSD to encode and
describe a Word document is sufficiently novel to be patentable, then
my suggestion in an earlier note should be read as a public disclosure
of patentable methods of doing the same with schema languages other
than XSD. Thus, unless someone can produce prior art, I would be the
senior inventor on any claim for methods of describing word processing
documents in RelaxNG, Schematron, and any other schema language other
than ASN.1 (which DEC has prior art for) and XSD (which Microsoft
claims) as long as I file before one year passes. This disclosure
blows, of course, my chance to patent in Europe, but I can still do so
in the US. So, Microsoft should be on notice that if they ever do a
"demonstration" comparing the use of XSD as a language for describing
"word-processing" documents with any other non-ASN.1 language, then
they will be at risk of patent violation. If they can patent the use
of XSD without stumbling across any obvious general and obvious
principle, then I can claim all the cases that they have failed to
claim... (Note: I believe that my suggestion that the Microsoft XSD's
could be translated into other languages is sufficient for one skilled
in the art to create a system which implements my invention....) Also,
note that the same method of describing a document in a schema
language can be applied to spreadsheets. In fact, back in the 80's at
Digital, we defined the format of our spreadsheet (not quite as
successful as Lotus 123) in ASN.1... Now, nobody has said Microsoft is
filing a patent for Excel described in XSD, so, I think I'll do that
(as well as RelaxNG, Schematron, etc.). The one year clock is running.
I'm going to be rich as soon as Microsoft starts paying me royalties!
	This is totally silly! This business of permitting patents for
mere substitutes must be eliminated.

		bob wyman