   [xml-dev] Re: Updated XInclude DoC

At 2:54 PM -0500 1/23/04, jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

Hmm, did you really mean to send this to the xml-dev list?

>2.14:  Using parse="text" and an xpointer should mean that whatever
>the xpointer
>points to is converted to text and included as such.

Regardless, I will comment on point 2.14. This is very tricky because
the XPointer will typically be resolved through an API such as DOM,
JDOM, SAX, or XOM that does not provide full access to the original
text content. That is, it eliminates white space in tags, removes the
would need to be reserialized to be included as text, and the
reserialization might well not match the original text. At a minimum
these issus need to be addressed in the spec, and perhaps XPointers
hodul be forbidden when parse="text". If the document is parsed as
text, then does an XPOinter fragment identifier even apply? (Hmm, is
there a fragment identifier type defined for text/plain?)
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu