   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft files for XML patents, says C|Net

I was distracted when this turned up yesterday, so I didn't look at
it, but I did this morning. The reporting makes it appear that these
patent applications (conducted in Europe and New Zealand) apply only
to MS Office's (Word's) handling of XML, in 31 specific claims, most
of which do look patentable merely from the aspect of being
Word-specific. The other arguments for using substitution of XML,
XHTML, etc. aren't needed, and don't affect the base argument.

While this has implications, I don't necessarily see any great reason
to get in a swivet about it. If Microsoft wants to paint themselves
into a corner, that's fine with me. If they want to make it more
expensive to convert Word documents into XML that is useful outside
the MS closed universe, it seems like another argument to excuse
ourselves from the thicket. Personally I think a better case could be
made for forcing Word into the public domain on the basis of its
widespread installation using the argument that they have made it an
unavoidable monopoly through their illegal business practices.

I know that's a non-starter, but getting it talked about might be
interesting. A more practical approach would be for the open
source/open standards community to develop a community converter
application that is bullet-proof (lawyer proof) that takes any word
processing document and converts it into raw text and then produces a
generic XML candidate version which Word users could then approve or
change through the converter application to a candidate version that
they can approve. They can then publish both the Word version for the
community that wishes to use the MS suite and the raw text/XML
version or an Open Office version. It would take a while to get
comfortable with such a wasteful system, but it would at least offer
an alternative to bending the knee to MS and it would help ensure
that XML doesn't become a de facto MS property.

Ciao,
Rex