   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Genx c14n?

At 3:13 AM +0400 1/27/04, David Tolpin wrote:

>The point has been that ability to generate documents in multiple encodings
>is less important than the ability to generate XML with default attributes
>added, for example, not that multiple encodings should never be handled.

All attributes should be written (and can be written) regardless of
whether or not the output is canonical XML. In the API as proposed I
don't think there's any such thing as a default attribute. Any
attribute passed to the genxAttribute function is written. This is a
very low-level API. It does receive and write entire documents.
Clients must explicitly invoke methods for each node they write.

Someone suggested there should be a function to specify whether or
not canonical XML is generated with or without comments. I don't see
why that's necessary. If someone writes a comment, they want
canonical XML with comments. If they don't want comments, don't write
comments. The API has no business filtering.

It's probably not a good idea, but the API could be designed to write
canonical XML unless a non-canonical method such as
genxXMLDeclaration, genxDoctype, or genxSetIndent were invoked.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu