   Re: [xml-dev] Schema fragments for everyday stuff

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> >I do not think that he understands how that
> > undercuts the very universal standardization of document forms which he hopes
> > to see promulgated by the UBL, or by any similar Babel project.
>
> Please educate me.

The goal of the UBL, to promulgate a generally applicable vocabulary, is
fundamentally at odds with the nature of publication in the heterogeneous
internetwork topology, where every node may publish in the form and with the
vocabulary most appropriate to its local expertise. Expand the UBL to encompass the
most appropriate forms of every expression of local expertise and you have no
standard. Constrain the forms of expression at any local node and the fundamental
principle of autonomy in the heterogeneous internetwork is violated.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry