   RE: [xml-dev] best practice for providing newsfeeds ?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> Having a publication date and a last updated date would be goodness.
	Atom has both of these dates. This is goodness. RSS does not,
that is not goodness.

>I think having 3 dates as ATOM does is bordering on the ridiculous.
	Only two of the Atom defined dates are required. The third is
optional. I see no problem with Atom, or any other specifcation,
defining more than a minimal set of elements as long as anything other
than a carefully chosen minimal set is optional. In some applications,
all three dates will have significance, in others they won't. However,
by including the specification of all three, Atom ensures that
applications that require the third, optional date are more likely to
provide it in a consistent way. This is goodness.
	With RSS, if your application requires more than a single
date, to distinguish between created-date and modified-date, you are
forced to use extension mechanisms to provide the additional data. The
use of such extension mechanisms inevitably creates inconsistency in
encodings and support.

		bob wyman