   Re: [xml-dev] Syndication, dates, and DRM (was Re: [xml-dev] best practi

David Megginson scripsit:

> 1. The date/time the news item was originally created.
> 2. The date/time the news item was last updated.
> 3. The date/time the news item is allowed to be published (the embargo
> date).
> 4. The date/time after which the story may no longer be published.

Reuters Health doesn't send out stories before the embargo, because our
customers (mostly Web sites) aren't usually equipped to do anything with them
except publish them.  So by the time the customer can get his mitts on the
story, the embargo time has passed.  We do use it internally though.

Your fourth date is customer-specific for us: the customer typically can
publish the story for 30 days, but can buy the right to publish it for
up to a year.

> If they do give up NewsML and switch to RSS or Atom, they'll either have to
> adjust their rights-management business model drastically, or RSS/Atom will
> have to change to accomodate them.

We do both.

--
Said Agatha Christie / To E. Philips Oppenheim  John Cowan
"Who is this Hemingway? / Who is this Proust?   jcowan@reutershealth.com