From: Bob Wyman [mailto:bob@wyman.us]
Sent: Tue 2/3/2004 8:48 AM
To: Dare Obasanjo; Joshua Allen; 'Michael Champion'; 'XML DEV'
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] best practice for providing newsfeeds ?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>It seems you are complaining about people using invalid date formats
    No. Your comment is a complete distortion of what I wrote. The
issue is that RSS only provides for one date (pubDate) which is
typically used to indicate an item's "creation date". When an item is
updated, it is typically published with its "creation date" -- not the
date that it was last modified. So, users get entries that appear  to
be "old" even when they are "new." This confuses them. The issue here
has *nothing* to do with data format -- it is a question of semantics,
not syntax.
    I find it somewhat telling that the author of one of the better
RSS aggregators would have trouble understanding this point. This is
clearly an illustration of the problems and confusions that can result
from a format as poorly specified as RSS.

> The main problem with dates in the major RSS specs
> is that they are optional.
        Optionality is an issue which is completely orthogonal to the
understanding of those dates that *are* present. If the meaning of a
date is ambiguous, it doesn't much matter if it is present or not.

        bob wyman