   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Is there an XML Schema for XSLT 1.0?

Bob Foster wrote:

> Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
>
>>> I found such a schema for XSLT 2.0, but not for XSLT 1.0.  Even a
>>> correct-as-far-as-it-goes unofficial one would probably be adequate
>>> for my
>>> needs.
>>

>> Such a schema wouldn't be too-useful, as XSLT allows any result nodes and
>> any global-scope elements (and their descendents) that belong to a
>> non-XSLT
>> namespace.
>

> Yes but why wouldn't it be useful? Such a schema validates what it
> specifically describes and validates that what it doesn't specifically
> describe still operates within certain constrains.

You usually hear that an xslt processor does validation of a stylesheet
faster and better than any XML Schema would allow.  The schema would
have minimal pedagogical value since it would be difficult for most
students to read and understand, and would not provide enough
information to teach them how to use xslt anyway.  For readability, the
RNG version (in compact notation) would be better.

So what is left for the schema to accomplish?  Guiding an editor, a Bob
suggested, might be about the only thing.

Cheers,

Tom P