   Re: [xml-dev] database primary keys in XML Schema

Your database may support a way (or allow you to implement a way) to ask it
for one or several keys before inserting the documents, rather than using
auto-incrementing keys provided by the DB itself.  Oracle, for example, has
a concept of a sequence from which you can ask for the next N items.  You
can use these as keys (possibly concatenated with some fixed string) on some
table, by associating a sequence with each table for which keys are needed.
You could implement this yourself by having a table of
maximum-key-value-so-far per table:

TableName    MaxKey
Foo                        99
Bar                      1766

and you execute a transaction something like

    select MaxKey from keytable where TableName='Foo'
    update keytable set MaxKey=MaxKey+100 where TableName='Foo'

Now you have 100 keys to use starting from whatever was returned from the
select.  They are guaranteed not to conflict with keys obtained this way in
any other transaction.

Jeff