   Re: [xml-dev] XML publishing frameworks and software methodologies

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Oleg Dulin wrote:

> Dear Distinguished Colleagues:
>
> As I complete my masters, I am taking a course on software methodologies
> and I am arriving to conclusion that the traditional drawbacks of
> use-case driven development have little application to XML publishing
> frameworks, especially Cocoon.
>
> Here is why.
>
> The problem with use-case driven development is that very little focus
> is placed on the architecture of the application, forcing developers to
> deliver functionality and resulting in unmaintainable complex code.

That's simply wrongheaded.  Use cases are just a tool for documenting a
subset of a system's requirements.  You then need to apply design skills
and methodology to translate these requirements into a system design.
Screw that up and you'll get crap code regardless of how you got your
requrements.

Part of that latter activity requires incorporating, into your design,
whatever frameworks (Cocoon, XSL, etc.) you have in your repetoire -- and
choosing the ones that best fit in the overall design.

I've seen many bad designs based on Cocoon -- the tool was great, but it
just wasn't appropriate to the problem at hand.