   Re: [xml-dev] JSR 206 and SAX

/ Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| At 2:51 PM -0800 2/19/04, Jeff Rafter wrote:
|
|>I am not sure why the factory level is the most appropriate? Aren't the
|>getFeature, setFeature functions part of the XMLReader itself? Why add
|>feature maintenance at the factory level when it can simply be enumerated
|>through creation of each available XMLReader (if necessary, as it is likely
|>known a priori)?
|
| It isn't. You're right. This should be setFeature on the XMLReader.
| There is no setFeature on XMLReaderFactory.

Our thinking was that normalization checking can be pretty expensive
and you might want to have the factory return entirely different
classes if the feature was enabled. Asking an XMLReader to reconfigure
itself to do normalization checking seemed like it might be a burden.

But there are no features on the factory yet, and if there's
resistance to adding features just for this feature, so be it.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Words--so innocent and powerless they