Lists Home |
Date Index |
/ "Jeff Rafter" <firstname.lastname@example.org> was heard to say:
| Another issue that has been covered, though not fully, is changes necessary
| in getXMLVersion. Currently the wording is:
| "Returns the version of XML used for the entity. This will normally be the
| identifier from the current entity's <?xml version='...' ...?> declaration,
| or be defaulted by the parser.
| At this writing, only one version ("1.0") is defined, but it seems likely
| that a new version will be defined which has slightly different rules about
| which characters are legal in XML names."
| Clearly, this needs to change-- but beyond the obvious adding of "1.1" as
| allowable I wonder if the semantics of getXMLVersion (which is still
| technically in beta) need to change. According to XML 1.1 if docuemnt is an
| XML 1.1 document then ALL entities within the document must be treated as
| though they are XML 1.1. Should getXMLVersion return the label, the
| inference, or base it on the primary document version indicator? Basically
| the question is whether or not the getXMLVersion should return the effective
| version or the label. 
I think it should return the label. I propose:
* Returns the version of XML used for the entity. This will
* normally be the identifier from the current entity's
* <em><?xml version='...' ...?></em> declaration,
* or be defaulted by the parser.
* <p>At this writing, the versions "1.0" and "1.1" are defined, but
* other versions may appear in the future.
* @return Identifier for the XML version being used to interpret
* the entity's text.
Be seeing you,
Norman Walsh <email@example.com> | Endurance is frequently a form of
http://nwalsh.com/ | indecision.--Elizabeth Bibesco