   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL: Can we add a "copyright" version

On Feb 20, 2004, at 2:17 PM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> I don't follow probably because I don't
> know what is meant by a "RDDL directory".
>
> Is the "RDDL directory" a RDDL document or
> the RDDL design?  IOW, are you asserting
> claims to *a* RDDL page or to *the* RDDL
> language design?

I assume that Eric wants a well known RDDL purpose to use in documents
that he is authoring. RDDL purposes are simply URIrefs. The idea is
that the document pointed to (by href="") has a purpose of "licence" or
"copyright" and a nature of "HTML" or "plain text" or whatever the
format of the document pointed to is.

> I think you mean asserting rights for a
> RDDL page and the assets it points to.

No, just the RDDL page.

> So, if the RDDL page is pointing to
> some set of resources, are you licensing these?

Not necessarily because the RDDL document might point to documents
owned by someone else.

> I don't think that works.  Following a link
> does not obligate.  That is a tenet of the
> web architecture.
>
> Or you are licensing the page and the
> rights to use it.

That is my assumption from what he asked.

Jonathan