   Re: [xml-dev] CSS Scoping in XML Namespaces

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Thanks Robert.  Fortunately, I only have to
> contend with IE for this project.  Closed worlds
> are scoped worlds by definition. ;-)

Unfortunately, IE is such a poor excuse for a browser that you won't be
able to do much with CSS. IE only does tagsoup rendering, you're feeding
caviar to the pigs.

> On the other hand, if the namespace prefixes
> are different, why the backslash?

Because ':' is a special character in CSS, and has to be escaped if you
want it to be part of a name selector.

> Considering that CSS is in it's own syntax,
> and inside a comment, there is a distinctly
> weird feel to the concept of it having ANY
> impact on the XML namespaces.  Obviously it
> does.  Is that informally specified, formally
> specified, or just another "gotta do it
> somehow because of legacies" solution?

CSS is *not* in a comment, that's just a broken hack. CSS has the
ability to match on element names, and naturally this includes the
ability to match namespaces.

--
Robin Berjon