   Re: [xml-dev] Re: xpath: which is right?

Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

 >>In XPath 2.0, preceding is defined to return its results in document
 >>order. So, starting from the fu element, libxslt is right or wrong,
 >>depending on whether it is following XPath 1.0 or 2.0 rules,
respectively.

 > Where did you get that from?

I got that from XML Path Language (XPath) 2.0 W3C Working Draft 12
November 2003, and the sentence: "the preceding axis contains all nodes
that are descendants of the root of the tree in which the context node
is found, are not ancestors of the context node, and occur before the
context node in document order". But on reading further, I see you are
correct, this does not imply that the result is in document order. I was
wrong. libxslt gives the right answer, period. Thanks for pointing out
my mistake (and misconception).

Bob Foster