   RE: [xml-dev] Competing Specifications - A Good or Bad Thing?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) <clbullar@ingr.com> writes:

> Because though I think making code systems simple and robust
> is helped
> by AOP, IMO, simplying one dimension can complicate
> another.  That is why I say, it's a point of view
> decision.  For whom should we optimize.

Say you simplify via abstraction.  Then you have to find people who can
understand abstractions.  That's no simple task either.

People use "code" (systems, whatever) to manage and automate complex
stuff.  Any point of view that finds that simple is likely myopic.  So,
yes, you can find those points of view, but they'll only get you so far
before you run smack into reality. As you say, "no free lunch".

<snip>XML use case example</snip>

> These things make specifications hard
> to write and standards hard to choose.

It helps to address local problems first.

<snip>AOP discussion</snip>