   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list availabl e

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> At 12:57 PM -0400 4/11/04, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
>> The improper use of an 'XML' label is a fair concern.  On the other
>> hand, its use, qualified so as to indicate that it is something
>> different or additional, is a signal that something is working to
>> maintain a majority of semantics and idioms of XML.
>>

> Additional, fine. (Think XML Namespaces, XSLT, XML Schema, XML Query
> Language, xml:id, etc.) none of which in any way alter the basic
> nature of XML.

 From XML 1.1:
4.3.3 Character Encoding in Entities
Each external parsed entity in an XML document MAY use a different
encoding for its characters.

The basic nature of XML is a permathread issue that won't reach complete
agreement.
What I am proposing is an alternate encoding.  Not just a character
encoding, but an alternate structural encoding while retaining all XML
logical structural elements.  Is the fact that the structure is more
complex, but equivalent to character-based structure important?  IMHO,
not in most cases.  I understand the difference of opinion.

> Different: not OK. If it's not a text format fully compatible with the
> XML specification, then it's not XML, and please don't use the word
> "XML" (or preferably the initial letter X) to describe it. XML is
> text. XML is syntax. XML is not the infoset. The infoset is derived
> from XML, not the other way around. SAX and DOM are are APIs for
> processing XML. XML is not a serialization format for SAX and DOM.
> Alternate representations of the Infoset are not XML. Alternate
> formats that expose a SAX or DOM API are not XML.
>
> Merely maintaining the "semantics and idioms of XML" (not that I think
> that will actually be done when the rubber hits the road) is
> insufficient to justify the use of the label XML. As Tim Bray once
> said, "If you bring an application to market and wave the XML banner,
> what that means to me is that you're willing to accept input in XML,
> and you'll give me back information in XML, without stealing any of it."

I absolutely expect every library to accept XML 1.1 and be able to
output XML 1.1 without "stealing any of it".  Additionally, it should
support input and output of a more efficient encoding.

sdw

--
swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st

begin:vcard