   Re: [xml-dev] XML Binary Characterization WG public list available

> I would not advise anyone to hold their breath waiting on a concensus on
> a convention, but coming up with a useful convention for digital
> signature and encryption varies from easy to reasonably difficult,
> depending on your requirements.

Balkanized islands of security?  Seems like a big step backward.  If the
folks in Redmond did this, people would be all over Dare&Co for trying
to kill the open secure WS stuff that they and IBM have been touting for

The security ship has sailed, and you'll never got those genii's back in
a bottle, or a con-call.  (Gaak, I sound like Len)

Point solutions are possible, but political and interop reasons will
make everyone just fall back to angle brackets.  XML DSIG and Encryption
are frozen -- just try to get W3C to create new WG's for Infoset-based
approach.  (Yes, those groups are gone and closed, so you have to start
from scratch.  Wise Man, Joseph...)  By follow-on, anything that depends
on XML cryptography -- WS-Security et alia -- are similarly frozen to
the XML 1.x serializations.  Feel free to disagree; the only possible
answer is "we'll see."

Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com
XS40 XML Security Gateway   http://www.datapower.com/products/xs40.html