   Re: [xml-dev] Media Types, Purposes, Natures, and XSL Transforms

Also see RDDL2 (Tim Bray's vocabulary): http://www.rddl.org/rddl2

>> Furthermore the semantics of RDDL's purpose differ from Typekit's
>> purpose in
>> case of a transform. RDDL uses the purpose to indicate the result's
>> type,
>> while Typekit indicates the result's purpose. IMHO such subtle
>> semantic
>> differences should be avoided in case of two similar specs -
>> especially since
>> they complement each other quite nicely.
>
> +1 for getting them the same.
>
> I'm not a big fan of how RDDL overloads nature/purpose to
> include info like this.  IMHO, nature should indicate what a
> resource *is*, purpose what it *does*, in general terms, without
> indicating any specifics.  Everything else should be external.

Fair enough. I was making the assumption that one can *infer* that
something that *is* an XSLT *does* a transform but indeed it is
overloading what would otherwise be a rddl:nature (of the result) with
a rddl:purpose (i.e. that the purpose of a transform is to produce
something with the nature of the result) If that makes any sense ...
perhaps not.

I should point out that the way this is described in the RDDL spec is
*explicitly* being used as an *example*.
RDDL 7.14: "
XSLT Stylesheet

An example of an XSLT stylesheet for RDDL, which accepts the params
role and arcrole. The transform inserts the document referenced by
xlink:href in the output. This code is shown as an example and is not
normative.
"

I.e. the RDDL spec does not mandate that nature and purpose be used
this way with XSLT, rather offers an example of how nature and purpose
*might* be used with XSLT.

Jonathan