   Re: [xml-dev] XUL Compact Syntax Study Now Online - Is XML too ha rd for

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Data objects in the X, operations in the Y and users in the Z.
> Change the values for syntax and look at what is actually being
> shared.  It isn't the compact syntaxes or the binaries.  They lost.
> They'll lose again.

Seems a bit premature. What percentage of the world's scientific or
commercial data are encoded or transmitted in XML syntax? How many new
programming languages are being designed in XML syntax?

Compact syntaxes like RNC and XQuery have certainly not "lost". Markup
has been around for a relatively long time, but in a very small circle.
Probably as many people programmed in Lisp as ever used SGML. Then we
had the XML fad (which, measured by book sales, is over). If you want to
slap a ruler on a few years of exuberance and draw a line to the sky,
ok, but we'll see.

Bob Foster
http://xmlbuddy.com/