   Re: [xml-dev] Parsed Representation of an XML

There is a practical problem with doing this with XSLT in that the access path
would often be very general unless you also have a schema for the input
thanks to the template/default processing rules. There has been some work on
XQuery with 'projections' of documents which is roughly equivalent that
appears to give good results. The other issue that you might have depending
on environment is that the processing to be applied to a document is not
determined until after it has been parsed and inspected, say via XPath.

On the packaging side there are many 'better' models than DOM. The difficult
bit of the problem is finding one or a combination of models that is better
for the type of processing you want to perform. This is also a function of
how hard you are prepared to work on your processing algorithms to make them
work over specific models. A good example is C14N over streamed data, much
harder to do than over an object model but potentially good performance
payback if you do it.

Kev.