   RE: [xml-dev] Meta-Meta-Meta....

The usual solution to this problem is that when you get to a certain level,
the metadata describes itself. So although you can keep going up another
level, for some level N you find that metadata(N) = data(N), so you don't
find anything new by going higher.

In the data dictionary / IRDS world, four layers were generally considered
sufficient. Level 1 contains the objects appearing in the data (Fred), level
2 the objects defined in a user-written schema (Employee), level 3 the
objects defined in the data model (Table, Column, Element, Attribute), and
level 4 the language for describing data models, which is also capable of
describing itself.

Michael Kay