   Re: [xml-dev] SAX and Entity Literals containing content

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:42:41 +1000
Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:
> Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>
> > At 7:37 AM -0700 5/25/04, Jeff Rafter wrote:
> >
> >> This question comes as a follow-up to my wellformedness question that
> >I> asked earlier. I already believe that I know the answer but want to
> >> double
> >> check. In the case of:
> >>
> >> <!DOCTYPE doc [
> >>   <!ENTITY e "<foo>test</foo>">
> >> ]>
> >> <doc>
> >>   <child>&e;</child>
> >> </doc>
> >>
> >> Should a SAX parser report a startElement and endElement event for
> ><foo>> when it is included?
> >>

> > Yes, absolutely.
>
> so is this perfectly ok?
>
> <!DOCTYPE doc [
>   <!ENTITY e "<foo>">
> ]>
> <doc>
> </doc>

Nope.  Has to be independently well-formed ("well-balanced").

> and the entity thing is really just a macro definition?

Not really.  It's a bit of a mess, as things stand (imo, of course).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
And now someone's on the telephone, desperate in his pain;