   Re: [xml-dev] SAX and Entity Literals containing content

Rick Marshall wrote:
>>> so is this perfectly ok?
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE doc [
>>>  <!ENTITY e "<foo>">
>>> ]>
>>> <doc>
>>> </doc>

[No from several people.]

> fair enough, but it does seem to me it's being parsed twice - once to
> make sure it's ok as an entity and once again when it's substituted. no
> doubt this appeals to neatness, but it does seem excessive, and perhaps
> restrictive. but that debate has no doubt been had and i don't want to
> open it again.

Not much danger of that. ;-}

If you know what the parser is supposed to be checking, you can write
the parser so it's convenient to check it. The simplest thing, perhaps,
is to note the element nesting level at the beginning of the expansion
and verify it's the same at the end.

Bob Foster