   Re: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] Semantic We

At 10:44 PM +0200 6/7/04, Henrik Martensson wrote:

>The problem is that manual intervention is required every time someone
>has added new tags arbitrarily.

Which I continue to maintain is not a big deal because it doesn't
actually happen that often. After the first couple of weeks of
running a system, you've typically handled well over 99% of the
messages your receive, and a system can easily run unattended for
days, weeks, or months before something unexpected is encountered.

>Even if the new markup does not change the workings of existing parts of
>the system, someone must still spend time checking it out. Otherwise,
>how would one know that the new information does not affect the existing
>system?

In many cases, it's enough to know that all the information you need
is there. You really don't care is someone has thrown in additional
markup. This is how web browsers operate for example. But if you're
really paranoid, check every message that doesn't conform to a
recognized format. It still won't be all that much work, and it will
be a more flexible, useful system.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu